Last Updated: 9 February 2023
In connection with providing our Services, there are times when we may ask for or collect information from you, either in the form of anonymous data or personally identifiable information.
What Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide To Us: We, or our service providers (acting on our behalf), collect “Personal Information” (which is information that, on its own or when combined with other information, can be used to identify you) that you provide to us, such as your first and last name, gender, image, email address, telephone number(s), postal address, post code, billing address, age, birth date, profile, location information, activity and performance information, avatar, weight, height, e-bike-specific information, emergency contact details, and when necessary, credit card information.
We collect information from you when you:
- Place an order from our Services;
- Return an item or make an exchange;
- Inquire about our Services;
- Create an account via our Services;
- Sign up for email updates or to receive our newsletter and/or advertisements;
- Register and use your bicycle;
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes;
- Use a Service that requests information regarding your location;
- Are referred to us through a marketing promotion; or
- Participate in a marketing survey, promotion or event.
Information Collected Automatically: Whenever you visit or interact with the Services, we, as well as our third-party service providers, use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively collect information about how you access and use the Services (“Usage Information”). Usage Information includes:
- Your IP address or other unique identifier for your Device.
- Device type.
- Your location.
- The type of browser software and operating system you are using.
- The web page(s) you have accessed, and the time you accessed them.
We also automatically collect certain other information, including:
- information about your purchases and purchase history;
- frequency of rides on your bicycle;
- starting location and ending location of your rides;
- power consumption during your rides;
- error occurrences with respect to the battery of the bicycle;
- motor and bicycle serial numbers and the hardware version you are using;
- rider behaviour (using analytics), rider preferences, ride history, rider performance statistics (e.g., length of rides, distance covered;
- elevation gain & loss, rider power, cadence, speed, average speed and elevation gain uphill);
- data from chat features; and
- billing history, log data and error reporting.
Google Analytics: We use a tool called “Google Analytics” to collect information about your internet use. For example, how often you visit our site, the pages you visit, and what other Sites you may have visited prior to coming to our site. We use Google Analytics to gain insights into how our services are used and to help us improve our products and services. Although Google Analytics plants a permanent cookie on your web browser to identify you as a unique user the next time you visit this site, the cookie cannot be used by anyone but Google. To opt-out of Google Analytics, please use Google’s opt-out tool: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Do Not Track: Currently the Service is not designed to respond to “Do Not Track” signals sent from your browser.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use the information we collect about you to provide you with products and services, to improve your experience, and to enforce our rights.
We use the Personal Information we collect about and from you:
- To perform our responsibilities under a contract we have with you. For example:
- If you purchase goods using the Services, we will need to use your Personal Information to process your order and to enable delivery;
- If you ask us to recommend products based on your metrics, we will need to use your Personal Information to match you with products we think would work best for you; and
- When we have a legitimate interest to do so. For example:
- To prevent fraud and protect the security of our Services;
- To communicate updates and improvements;
- To carry out market research;
- To develop and optimize our products and services;
- To send you marketing communications (unless separate consent is required for those communications as described in further detail below);
- To let you know when your bike needs servicing;
- To understand how a specific e-bike is performing, e.g., if errors are logged, Specialized will identify the specific e-bike and send fixes and software updates to that particular e-bike to resolve the error;
- To help us provide and operate the Service; and
- To comply with our legal obligations.
If you have purchased products and services from us, we may also send you marketing communications about similar products and services.
- With your consent. For example:
- We may send certain types of marketing communications that may require your consent, and we will send you those communications only if you consent to receive them.
- We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
- If you consent, we use your health information to provide you with statistics and visualisations representing key data points like heart rate.
- We will store your Personal Information if you consent to serve as emergency contact for a friend or family member who owns one of our smart helmets.
- With your consent, we use your information to personalize your Specialized experience, including: to tailor content, advertisements, and offers we serve you.
Who Do We Share Your Information With?
We share your information with our affiliates and service providers. We will also share your information if we reorganize our business. We will share Personal Information as necessary to enforce our legal rights or meet our legal obligations.
We share your Personal Information with third parties in the following circumstances:
Third Party Service Providers: We use third parties to help us provide the Services to you. Third parties we use for payment processing, email, marketing, customer service and other services will access your Personal Information to help us provide these services to you. We will provide your Personal Information to these third-party service providers when the information is necessary for them to perform their duties. For example we will share bank details and credit card information with payment providers that process rider payments (where applicable).
Business Transfers: We will share your Personal Information if we are acquired by or enter into a merger with another company, or otherwise reorganize our business.
Third Party Links and Services
We link to sites operated by other parties, but we are not responsible for their privacy practices. If you link your Specialized account with your account on another site or service, we will have access to information you have shared with that third party.
You may choose to link your Specialized account with your accounts with third-party services, such as Strava or Facebook. If you do this, Specialized has access to information that you have agreed to make available with the third party, such as profile information and account preferences. You can control the information received by Specialized via the privacy settings in the third party account.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children.
The Services are not designed for or directed at children. As such, we do not knowingly process Personal Information about children under 16 years of age.
Transfers of Personal Information From Outside the United States
Specialized is a global company with headquarters in the United States. Your Personal Information will be transferred to our United States headquarters. We take measures to protect privacy when data is transferred.
Specialized has its headquarters in the United States of America. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States.
Storage of Your Personal Information
We keep your information for as long as you have an account with or are otherwise an active customer of Specialized. Once you delete your account or no longer use our products and Services, we will only keep your information as needed to fulfil our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or take other actions permitted by law.
We will generally store information associated with your account until it is no longer necessary to provide the Services, until you ask us to delete it, or until your account is deleted, whichever comes first; but there are some exceptions to this general rule. We will retain information from deleted accounts to comply with the law, prevent fraud, collect fees, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with investigations, process warranty claims, distribute important product information (such as recall information), enforce our agreements, and take other actions permitted by law.
We use a variety of current technologies and processes and maintain physical, technical and administrative safeguards for the protection of our customer data. We maintain a private database on our servers for the storage of all information collected through our Services. It is our practice to use encryption whenever we receive or transmit sensitive data. We use encryption technology to ensure the secure transmission of any personal information you provide while using our Services. All transactions completed through our Services are conducted using 2048-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. We will take reasonable measures which we believe are appropriate to protect your information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction, and, where possible, will ask that any third parties to whom we may transfer your information take comparable steps to protect that security. Although we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee that your information will always be secure.
Email is not a secure form of communication. Please do not send us your credit card number, social security number or other Personal Information via email.
Your Rights and Choices
If you are in the EEA, you have the right to access the information we have about you, as well as the right to request that we correct it, complete it, erase it, stop using it, or transfer it to you. Submit your request for information here
You can stop receiving promotional communications from us by following the opt-out instructions provided in any such communication you receive. You can also email [email protected].
You may view and opt-out of tracking cookies for any company that participates in the Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice program at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
If you are in the EU, you have certain rights related to the Personal Information we hold about you:
- Access. You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you. If you wish to obtain a copy or description of the Personal Information we hold about you, please use our Subject Access Request form, located here. If you are unable to use the form, you may send your request to our Data Privacy Specialist (e.g., email or by post) using the contact details set out below. In either case, we may ask you to verify your identity and to provide further details about your request.
- Accuracy. We will do our bests to ensure the Personal Information we retain about you is accurate. We may from time to time send you an email update to remind you to tell us about any updates or changes to your Personal Information. You have the right to request that any inaccurate Personal Information is corrected and any incomplete information is completed by contacting our Data Privacy Specialist using the contact details set out below.
We may change our privacy practices, and we will update this page when we do, so be sure to check it periodically.
Queries or Complaints
Please contact us with questions. If you are dissatisfied with how we use your Personal Information, you can complain to our Data Privacy Specialist or to the data protection authority in your country.
Our Contact Details
You may contact our Data Privacy Specialist using the following details:
By email: [email protected]
Post: Data Privacy Specialist, Specialized Bicycle Components, Inc., 15130 Concord Circle, Morgan Hill, CA 95037