The trails in our neck of the woods get pretty hairy pretty fast, so we've found them to be the perfect testing ground for fast and tough wheels like our Traverse 29 Carbon. The steep climbs and descents helped inspire some pretty radical designs, and most importantly, left us with no doubt that these wheels will exceed your expectations.
Let's talk about those expectations. They include everything from the ability to stay true after launching off drops to being light enough to efficiently pedal to the top of a climb—and they all begin with the rim. Our engineers knew they wanted carbon fiber, and with the inclusion of our Zero Bead Hook design, they were able to implement a continuous fiber layup across the sidewall and rim bed. And when paired with a whopping 30-millimeter internal rim width, they made a wheel that's super resilient to impact with low rolling resistance and incredible traction. You'll also find that it helps prevent "burping" during hard cornering, while also making tubeless set up quick and easy.
Along with light overall weight, stiffness, and durability, another top priority for the Traverse was ease of use. First off, we got rid of the creaky straight-pull spokes and corrosion-prone alloy nipples. Next up, we landed on 28 J-bend spokes, for front and rear wheels, that are all the same length—making it easy to find replacements if needed. And finally, we engineered a new hub design with a wider profile and higher flange to aid in overall stiffness.
A wider rim does a variety of things for ride performance—it better supports the tire for increased confidence and grip, and it affords you the ability to run lower pressures that help spread impact out over a larger surface area to reduce the risk of damage. And when you combine this girth with the notoriously fast rolling 29 platform, you’re left with an incredibly stiff, quick to accelerate wheelset that climbs just as well as it shreds descents.
After designing the perfect trail rim, we kept our lightweight and durable design properties in mind with the wheel build, hand-lacing the rims with DT Swiss 350 Classic hubs via 28 DT Swiss Competition Race spokes and brass Pro Lock nipples. Inside, you'll find sealed cartridge bearings and a 36t quick engagement ratchet system for quick accelerations. We also wanted to ensure that each wheel was built correctly, and we found that this could only be achieved by hand. Machines, we found, have a tendency to miss little mistakes that humans catch.
Each wheelset comes packaged with a SRAM XD driver, 11-speed freehub, and a tubeless valve stem in order to make tubeless set up a touch easier. *Please note that Shimano freehubs are sold separately.
- Rim Type: Carbon clincher, 2Bliss Ready, Zero Bead Hook design. Black graphic under clear coat.
- Rim Material: Carbon fiber
- Rim Width: 30mm internal
- Front Spoke Pattern: Two-cross
- Rear Spoke Pattern: Two-cross
- Spoke Count: 28h Front, 28h Rear
- Spoke Type: DT Swiss Competition Race J-bend
- Nipple Type: DT Swiss Brass Pro Lock hexagonal
- Front Hub: DT Swiss 350 Classic, 28h, 15x110mm thru-axle, 6-bolt, includes 15x110mm 19mm OD end caps.
- Rear Hub: DT Swiss 350 Classic, 28h, 36t quick engagement ratchet system cassette, includes SRAM XX1 XD freehub.
- Includes 31mm OD end caps for front hub
- Bearing Type: Sealed cartridge
- Every wheel includes a tubeless valve stem in order to make tubeless set-up a touch easier.
- Assembly Method: Hand-built
- Total Wheelset Weight: 1800g