THE ONGOING JOURNEY OF SUSTAINABILITY
The journey towards sustainability is a never-ending one—‘Better’ is always on the horizon. On our own journey towards being better stewards of the environment, we believe that we have an obligation and a responsibility to drive better practices in sourcing and manufacturing products globally. That belief has led to our role working with the Outdoor Industry Association, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, and the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry to establish commonly held metrics for measuring progress of both brands and suppliers. Progress comes when everyone is guided by a shared vision.
- Fair treatment, fair pay and respect for the local environment in the communities that build our products.
- Designing for the smallest footprint in the highest performance products.
- Identifying opportunities to minimize waste by maximizing material efficiencies and finding the best outcome for the materials we can’t use.
- Responsible and efficient water use.
- Sourcing the best materials for each application and banning the use of materials known to be harmful.
- Striving to find the highest use for materials at the end of life.
- Ongoing collaboration with other brands and suppliers towards more sustainable practices for people and products.
Initiating change across suppliers, materials, and design takes time & teamwork and we at Specialized are fiercely committed to constantly improving while also sharing our learnings with other brands. When we’re all working towards a better world, be it manufacturers, parts suppliers or riders, we all win. Through the creation of the Higg Index, the Outdoor Industry Association and the Sustainable Apparel Coalition are working to create standards for sustainable practices across the entire product lifecycle from raw material to end of life.We are equally as dedicated to applying the principles of collaboration both at home and to the communities where are products are produced. As founding members of the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry Bicycle Labor Pilot, we are collaborating with a coalition of leading brands and suppliers to create shared standards, tools and a shared supplier database via the Fair Factories Clearing House. We are also working with the Bicycle Products Supplier Association to help make recommendations to the industry on best practices in sustainability and fair labor practices.