Monday, August 6, 2012
Yes, it is a journey and one that has no final destination. ‘Better’ is always on the horizon. Although we have just begun our journey as better stewards of the environment, we believe we have an obligation and a role to drive better practices in sourcing & manufacturing of performance products globally. That belief has led to our role working with both the Outdoor Industry Association and the Sustainable Apparel Coalition to create commonly held metrics for measuring progress for both manufacturers and brands. Progress comes when everyone is guided by a shared vision.
• Designing for the smallest footprint in the highest performance products.
• Identifying opportunities to minimize waste by maximizing material efficiencies and finding the best outcome for the materials we can’t use.
• Responsible water use.
• Finding the best material for each application and banning the use of materials known to be harmful.
• Working to find the highest use for materials at the end of life.
• Ongoing collaboration with other brands and suppliers towards more sustainable practices for people and products.
Driving change across suppliers, materials, and design takes time & collaboration and we are committed to ongoing improvement while sharing our learnings with other brands. It only gets better when it is better for everyone, from the people making our products to the rider working hard to stay at the front. The Outdoor Industry Association is working to create standards for sustainable practices across the entire product lifecycle from raw material to end of life. Find out more about the Eco Index and how it is making a difference.• Find out more about the Eco Index and how it is making a difference.